We are currently offering three types of courses:
Introduction to Placemaking
A one-day intensive that kick-starts the 6-month Placemaking process in 6-hours. We cover topics of Placemaking – what it is and why it is significant, organizing your neighbors, and finding collective value.
Village Building Design Course (VBDC)
Four days of workshop over the course of 5-days at the beginning of the Village Building Convergence, the VBDC is an opportunity to dive into community-building essentials all the while checking out real-time Placemaking projects being implemented in Portland, OR when you’re not in class.
the Village Building Training.
Combines learning from experts, creative group activities and real-time placemaking experience over 6-8 months, with two workshops, five class conference calls, instructor follow up, and student support systems. The course integrates active participation by students working through their own neighborhood placemaking projects. You’ll emerge from the long and rewarding process with practiced placemaking skills, strong new connections between you and your neighbors, and a completed neighborhood project! Yeehaw! The course focuses on skills, blockages, foundations, outcomes of placemaking! This course is for people who are interested in building community in their neighborhood from square one.
Topics we cover:
- Placemaking – what is it and why is it significant?
- How do we make a village in a city? Skills for beginning placemaking where you live
- Community gatherings and the group process: bringing people together and nurturing them effectively
- Collaborative design: identifying values, determining functions, setting priorities, while maintaining inclusivity in the design
- Group facilitation techniques: gatherings, meetings, work parties and design charrettes
- Examples of sustainable placemaking: models of inspiration
- Social capital and community asset mapping
- Making It Happen: project preparation, community work parties, project upkeep
- Celebration and the future: storytelling and cultivating a myth to change the world!
In the past, we have also organized Intro to Placemaking workshop series.
These, similar, and new courses will become available as we grow and develop our curriculum!
*For residents of Portland, OR, we recommend engaging in the Village Building Convergence, where you will be supported in your community’s project from February thru the beginning of the Convergence (at the end of May) each year.